The dynamic device name option allows you to assign a name to devices during their enrollment, based on a specified pattern.
This functionality can be useful when you want to designate device names based on the profile they are linked to, and automatically assign numerical values to each, increasing incrementally.
How to use
To implement dynamic device naming:
1. Navigate to the "Enrollment" section on the "Profile" page.
2. In the "Device Name Pattern" text box, you can define the pattern using any combination of text.
Additionally, you have the option to utilize the special variable "$AUTONUM$" to generate a numerical value. This value initiates at 1 and is automatically incremented after each device is registered with the same pattern, even if it's associated with a different profile.
For instance, if you set the pattern as "device_$AUTONUM$", your enrolled devices will be named as "device_1", "device_2", "device_3," and so on, in sequential order.
1. Please note that if you have devices named device_1 and device_2, and rename device_2 to something else, the next dynamically assigned device name will still be device_3.
2. If there is a device name linked to the device before enrollment, the device name template will not be applied.
3. It's important to note that this feature doesn't impact devices that already possess an assigned name. If you want an existing device to adopt the dynamic device naming during registration, you can clear its current device name.
4. Updating the pattern inside a profile will not update the device name of the existing enrolled devices.